The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) Tech Lab released updates for the Mobile Rich Media Ad Interface Definition (MRAID) for public comment on Wednesday.
The updates included in MRAID 3.0:
- Enabling measurement of viewability and audibility
- Detecting whether an ad is running in an MRAID-compliant environment at the time an ad is initialized
- The ability to get location data if access is enabled by the user
- Guidance on pre-loading ads to ensure ads are only shown to users when they are ready for display, not when they are still loading
- Integrating Video Player Ad Interface Definition (VPAID) so video ads can be measured in mobile apps that are using MRAID
“In today’s mobile-centric world, guidelines that allow for interoperability are imperative,” said Alanna Gombert, senior vice president, Technology and Ad Operations, IAB, and general manager, IAB Tech Lab. “These revised guidelines will further enhance and improve the rich mobile ad experience for consumers, while also improving ad effectiveness for advertisers and publishers.”
This is the first significant update to MRAID in more than four years. Public comments are welcome through January 30 .